Q. I'm condo president. One unit on the first floor is experiencing some water damage on her bathroom ceiling. The second floor above her had called a plumber to come out and look for a leak as well to fix.

They asked me to take a look at second floor condo and it seems to me that the plumber doesn't know what he's doing. He's cut a few pieces from their wall and replaced a pipe but there is still leaking. Plumber is blaming the 3rd floor guy. Two questions - who is responsible for payment on this? Condo or owner? What should I do? Say out of the way or work with them?

A. The association should be involved to the extent that the work being performed or damage being done pertains to the common elements of the property.  Normally, water damage to the interior of a unit is a unit owner's responsibility in tandem with their insurance company.  Here, it looks like there are a number of players involved.

This section of the article is only available for our subscribers. Please click here to subscribe to a subscription plan to view this part of the article.



Search Articles...

Membership Plans

Subscribe to the Chicago Condo Resource to access our Members Only Content.

Subscribe to Newsletter

Seminars & Events

Sat Feb 29 @ 8:30AM - 11:30AM
Is That Even Legal?
Sat Mar 21 @ 8:30AM - 12:30PM
Brainy Board - Board Member Boot Camp
February 2020
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29