Q. I am the President of self managed condo association.  We have a total of 6 units, two of which are rented out by the owners.  One of the non-resident owners has not left an address with us and is now behind 5 months total in assessments.

When an occasional check is sent, it is sent directly from a bank.  Other than an email that is not always responded to, we do not know how to contact the owner.  In one response to an email telling her she was behind, she stated that she was in transition at the moment.  The Board just passed a rule stating that non-resident owners must provide an address where they receive mail but this has not been responded to when it was sent to her via email.  So, I have several questions. 

  1. Do we have the right to make the owner provide an address?
  2. How do we serve the letter to someone that we do not have an address for?
  3. The lease for the unit does have a realty company listed as the lessor and a specific name of someone that is the "authorized agent of the premises". Can we send the letter to the realtor?
  4. How do we find a lawyer to help collect the money? 

We have never had a problem before so we are new to this.  In addition, we have a special assessment coming up for a major repair and are guessing we won't get our money from this owner for that either.

A. There are a number of items to address here, but the answers to all of them are actually fairly straightforward. In regards to providing a mailing address, the board will be protected if

This section of the article is only available for our subscribers. Please click here to subscribe to a subscription plan to view this part of the article.

Search Articles...

Membership Plans

Subscribe to the Chicago Condo Resource to access our Members Only Content.

Subscribe to Newsletter

Seminars & Events

Thu Oct 28 @11:00AM - 03:00PM
M-204: Community Governance – Virtual Live Edition
October 2021
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30