Handling Toxic Board Members
Toxic board behavior is pervasive. It takes over everything and soon, governance becomes all about the conflict, and not the community.
So how do you handle toxic board members? According to the pros, board officers must consistently enforce a code of conduct by which all elected members must abide.
Learn more here.
Condo Boards Should Anticipate High Utility Bills for 2023 Budgets
As Haus Financial Services processes Draft Budge Packages for our clients this budget season. we are noting large increases to gas, electric and water expenses over 2021 figures.
The City of Chicago adjusts water rates every June based on rates of inflation. The most recent increase in June 2022 was 5%.
Natural gas prices have climbed in 2022. The cost per therm is about 50% over last year's rates.
Electricity supply charges are currently about double the 2021 rate (0.09941/kWh vs. 0.05470/kWh in 2021).
Board members should be prepared to build these increases into their projected expenses for 2023. Rates will likely not double again, but further increases (rather than decreases) should be anticipated.
Due Process and Violation Hearings in Condominiums
The violation process can be tricky and is full of nuances. Be sure to review your Association’s governing documents regarding this process.
It's Time to Budget for 2023!
HausFS has begun preparing 2023 Draft Budget Packages for our clients.
Here are some items to keep in mind as you plan for 2023:
- Does your association have snow removal services in place? We got hit hard in the winter of 2021. Many companies are finalizing their routes now. Find your vendors now - not after 2 feet of snow has fallen!
- Have you included regular plumbing maintenance in your annual budget? Pipes need to be rodded annually from the builidng to the street to ensure that water continues to flow away from, and not into, your building.
- Has your insurance expense skyrocketed? This is a line item that can always be reviewed with another broker for cost savings.
- Do you need to beef up your reserves? Many HausFS clients are facing big repair and maintenance projects that are necessitating large Special Assessments. It's always easier to put away more monthly than to collect a large lump sum from owners. Don't forget to include a reasonable Reserves Contribution in your annual budget.
- Have you reviewed your waste removal costs lately? This is an expense that constantly climbs higher. Do you know when your contract expires so you can make a change when the timing is right?
- All owners must receive a copy of the Proposed Budget at least 25 days prior to the board meeting at which the budget will be approved. Get your meeting scheduled now
- The annual budget is voted on only by the board, not by all unit owners. Owners can petition for a vote, however, if a proposed budget shows more than a 15% increase over the prior year.
Need guidance in preparing your budget? View our Educational Video "Budgeting Made Easy". (Available to CCR Board Member Subscribers.)